September 4, 2012

Excerpt from 'Explicit Violence,' an essay by Lidia Yuknavitch

One of the legacies of the West - and of the world in general - is violence.  Children are told to keep these family secrets secret, but it is the power of writing to set us free and to somewhat excise those demons.  Here is an excerpt the Rumpus of an essay "Explicit Violence" by Portland's Lidia Yuknavitch, who is just out with a novel Dora: A Headcase, about one of Freud's famous patients. 



Excerpt from "Explicit Violence," by Lidia Yuknavitch

In a bar, with friends, listening to a man I’ve admired for years saying this: “Enough with the sob stories, ladies. We get it. If I hear one more story about some fucked up sad violent shit that happened to you, I’m going to walk. You win! You win the sad shit happened to me award! On behalf of my gender, I decree: We suck!” Laughter. The clinking of glasses. Again the secret crack in my heart. Stop telling.
The first time I saw my father’s specific sadistic brutality manifest in physical terms, I was four. My sister was flopped across his lap, barebottom. He hit her thirteen times with his leather belt. I counted. That’s all I was old enough to do. It took a very long time. She was twelve and had the beginning of boobs. I was in the bedroom down the hall, peeking out from a faithlessly thin line through my barely open bedroom door. The first two great thwacks left red welts across her ass. I couldn’t keep watching, but I couldn’t move or breathe, either. I closed my eyes. I drew on the wall by my door with an oversized purple crayon — large aimless circles and scribbles. Not the sound of the belt—but her soundlessness is what shattered me. Still.
The second time I saw my father’s naked brutality he came at my mother – I mean the second time I physically witnessed my father looking more animal than man, his embodied rage – he threw a coffee mug at her head. Hard. He once tried out for the Cleveland Indians as a pitcher. That hard. He missed, and the mug punched a hole through the wall in the kitchen. My sister was long gone—the escape of college. Afterward, there was dead silence in the kitchen. I know because I held my breath. Even air molecules seemed to still. I’d recently written a fifth grade school report on hurricanes.  It felt like we were in the eye.
My father never struck my mother. She told me it was because she was a cripple. My mother was born with one of her legs six inches shorter than the other. She said, “He wouldn’t dare hit me,” the lilt of a southern drawl and vodka in her never-went-to-college voice, some kind of messed up trust in her too blue eyes. Instead, he molested his daughters.
 
What do you think?  There is such a disconnect between what we allow people to say and the truth of experience.  Is it better to regulate or to write about it?  Better for society to have sanitized role models and deny what kids are experiencing?  Or better to admit it all at the risk of losing an idealized view of the world?

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful and devastating, Lydia.I worked with children and young adolescents in an inpatient psychiatric setting for over 15 years. The biggest part of my job was to earn their trust so that they could tell what happened to them. It was tremendously heartbreaking and all I had to do was listen, hug them when they cried and tried to make them believe they never deserved it. They had to live it and relive it. No one should ever doubt that we owe them the truth. Silence is what permits these heinous acts. Speaking out, is the first step to make it stop. Screw sanitized, idealized versions of the world. People need to wake up and take responsibility for the most vulnerable among us. Or we are not in any way a civilized society.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you've written about this! I personally am totally with you. There was a hullaballoo recently about YA books being too dark, and my personal reaction was, but if you ban them you are denying many teenagers reality. And lying by omission. ~ Tamara

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing this article. I love it. Keep on writing this type of great stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Invest in Ripple on eToro the World's Leading Social Trading Network.

    Join 1,000,000's who have already discovered smarter methods for investing in Ripple.

    Learn from established eToro traders or copy their trades automatically

    ReplyDelete